Monday, February 22, 2021

Bloodguiltiness: Lent week 2


In our preparation for Resurrection Sunday last week we considered dust, what we have come from and what we will return to. Apart from God that is all we are. God breathed life into us. He sustains us. He gives us all we have and makes us all we are. Of ourselves, we are nothing.

 

But that life He gave us is not enough. He breathed life into mankind at creation, but we fell back into death through sin. Though alive physically, we all begin life dead spiritually. Sin separates us from God. It is only by His sacrifice on the cross that we can gain spiritual life. In 40 days, we will celebrate that sacrifice, Christ’s victory on the cross to defeat our sin and His resurrection to give us eternal life. Take some time to read Psalm 51.

 

Psalm 51 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

Be gracious to me, God, according to Your faithfulness;
According to the greatness of Your compassion, wipe out my wrongdoings.
Wash me thoroughly from my guilt
And cleanse me from my sin.
For I know my wrongdoings,
And my sin is constantly before me.
Against You, You only, I have sinned
And done what is evil in Your sight,
So that You are justified when You speak
And blameless when You judge.

Behold, I was brought forth in guilt,
And in sin my mother conceived me.
Behold, You desire truth in the innermost being,
And in secret You will make wisdom known to me.
Purify me with hyssop, and I will be clean;
Cleanse me, and I will be whiter than snow.
Let me hear joy and gladness,
Let the bones You have broken rejoice.
Hide Your face from my sins
And wipe out all my guilty deeds.

Create in me a clean heart, God,
And renew a steadfast spirit within me.
Do not cast me away from Your presence,
And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of Your salvation,
And sustain me with a willing spirit.
Then I will teach wrongdoers Your ways,
And sinners will be converted to You.

Save me from the guilt of bloodshed, God, the God of my salvation;
Then my tongue will joyfully sing of Your righteousness.
Lord, open my lips,
So that my mouth may declare Your praise.
For You do not delight in sacrifice, otherwise I would give it;
You do not take pleasure in burnt offering.
The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit;
A broken and a contrite heart, God, You will not despise.

By Your favor do good to Zion;
Build the walls of Jerusalem.
Then You will delight in righteous sacrifices,
In burnt offering and whole burnt offering;
Then bulls will be offered on Your altar.

 

Ask God to draw your attention to sins which are preventing you from having the life of His fullness. Ask Him to reveal to you sins you may not be aware of.

 

Psalm 139:23-24 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

Search me, God, and know my heart;
Put me to the test and know my anxious thoughts;
And see if there is any hurtful way in me,
And lead me in the everlasting way.

 

Take some time to write down what God has revealed to you, sins you have been ignoring, denying or even harboring. Be open to God’s revelation and prompting throughout the week. Keep them on a piece of paper in your Bible or some place safe until next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment