Monday, November 2, 2020

Devotions: The True King

 

“At that time my reason returned to me. And my majesty and splendor were restored to me for the honor of my kingdom, and my state counselors and my nobles began seeking me out; so I was reestablished in my sovereignty, and surpassing greatness was added to me. Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise, exalt, and honor the King of heaven, for all His works are true and His ways just; and He is able to humble those who walk in pride.”

Daniel 4:36-37 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

 

These verses come at the end of a chapter written by King Nebuchadnezzar himself. He tells of an extraordinary miracle that happened to him. At the time, Babylon was the greatest empire in the world and he had captured Israel some time before. He had a dream which, when interpreted, warned that he would boast in arrogance and God would punish him by making him go insane. He would then be driven from the city, lose his throne, and live in the wild like a beast. Then after 7 years, he would acknowledge God and all would be restored. He was warned to humble himself so this wouldn’t happen, but he didn’t listen. Instead, he continued in his pride and boasted that his vast realm and palace were done by his might and power for his glory and honor. While he was saying this, the warning from his vision returned and he was stricken mad, just as the vision had foretold. His seven years of discipline were followed by the statement of these two verses.

God is the true King over all kings. He gives and takes away authority and power, and all is done for the glory of His name. When man tries to claim the glory that rightfully belongs to God they pay the price for their arrogance. That is why satan was cast from heaven permanently, he tried to claim God’s glory, but unlike humans, angels do not get a second chance.

This passage proves that God can make and remove kings in an instant. No one is mightier than He, and none can thwart His plan. He can topple the greatest empire of the world at will. No matter what happens in an election, God is in control. He has ultimate power, control and sovereignty over every government. We need to trust His plan, goodness and power, whatever happens.

 

 

To view a video of this devo, visit my facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/evelynbray.author

To receive these devotions daily, like my page or subscribe to my blog by entering your email in the subscription box to the right!

No comments:

Post a Comment