Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Devotions: Refocus


Why are you in despair, O my soul?
And why have you become disturbed within me?
Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him,
The help of my countenance and my God.
Psalm 42:11 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

This verse, which is meant to be uplifting and encouraging, used to make me depressed. I felt that it was an accusation, that I should not be disturbed or depressed because my hope should be in God. I have since learned that is not what is meant. It is meant for introspection, to ask ourselves why we are despairing, and then refocus our gaze back to Christ who is our Help. We can’t move past what is bringing us down until we deal with it and bring it to light at the foot of the cross. Then we will see the situation as it truly is and will resume our hope in God. Then we will remember who the Conqueror and Redeemer is. Then we will praise Him for Who He is and what He has done and will do. He is our Helper, Uplifter and our God. Why do you despair? What is bothering? Lay it at the cross and hope in the Lord!


To view a video of this devo, visit my facebook page at www.facebook.com/evelynbray15
Like my page or subscribe to my blog to receive these devotions daily!

No comments:

Post a Comment