Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Devotions: Where to Turn


I cried out to You, O Lord;
I said, “You are my refuge,
My portion in the land of the living…
Bring my soul out of prison,
So that I may give thanks to Your name;
The righteous will surround me,
For You will deal bountifully with me.”
Psalm 142:5,7 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

Where do you go in time of trouble? To whom do you turn? Our first thought, our first cry for help should be to God. He should not be our last resort. He is in control of everything. He is all powerful and all knowing. Why would we not turn to Him? The word for portion literally means territory. He is our home, our safe place, our inheritance. We should go to Him with everything, immediately. He should not be our crutch, but our life support. Going to Him should be a regular thing; it should be instinctive for us. Have you ever felt like your soul was imprisoned? Maybe by fear, doubt, worry, bitterness? Only God can deliver us from that imprisonment. It is through Him and His truth that we find true freedom. Our desire in our release should not only be for our own satisfaction, but also to glorify God. David knew that God can work everything out for our good and His glory. His greatest desire was to honor God in everything, by life or death. David was anticipating another reason to be thankful. As a result, those who love God would join him in praising God, in rejoicing over God’s redemption and salvation. They will recognize God’s blessings and provision, which will cause them to praise God for His love for us. Is your soul imprisoned? Are you weighed down with the heavy issues in our society? Turn to God, your portion and refuge. Seek His deliverance and look for ways to praise Him for His blessings.




To view a video of this devo, visit my facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/evelynbray.author
To receive these devotions daily, like my page or subscribe to my blog by entering your email in the subscription box to the right!

Translations of Greek and Hebrew words taken from blueletterbible.org

No comments:

Post a Comment