Monday, September 9, 2019

Do You Need a Power Flush?


I’ve been having trouble with my computer lately. It’s old and just not operating like it should. Both times I called tech support recently, they had me do a “power flush” which ended up solving the problem. It’s old and just needed to power down for a bit and reboot. What does this have to do with faith and Christianity?


Matthew 11:28-30 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.

Sometimes we need to power down and reboot, mentally, physically, emotional and spiritually. We need rest. That is part of being human and not having access to endless strength in ourselves; we not only need outside strength, but we also need times of rest. We need times when we sit back and relax. We were not made to work continually, even if we are seeking God’s strength. Jesus did this regularly, and recommended that His followers do the same.

Mark 6:31 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
And He said to them, “Come away by yourselves to a secluded place and rest a while.” (For there were many people coming and going, and they did not even have time to eat.)

He knew that they needed rest. That is why God ordained the Sabbath, so that we would have regular time to rest. He didn’t rest on the seventh day of Creation because He needed, but because we needed it and He was setting the example for us. Trying to do things on our own strength and denying our need for rest is actually akin to idolatry, for it is denying our humanity and trying to be like God who is all-powerful, self-sustaining and needs nothing. Even sleeping every night is another reminder that we are human and cannot make it through life in our own strength. We need God and His strength and rest. Only He is the true source of strength, and only He can give us the rest we need.

Psalm 23:3 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
He restores my soul;
He guides me in the paths of righteousness
For His name’s sake.

God is our Shepherd and He restores us. In Him we find the rest we need, by trusting Him, by seeking Him, by going to Him for what we need. We will find rest if we entrust every part of our lives to Him, denying our desire to strive or worry, allowing Him to take care of it. We find rest by seeking His presence, spending time with Him through prayer and studying His word. We find rest by seeking His help rather than trying to do it on our own.

Psalm 19:7 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
The law of the Lord is perfect, restoring the soul;
The testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple.

We also find rest in the law of God. When we are obedient and live as God has decreed we find rest because we are no longer at odds with God. We are no longer striving with Him, nor with others. We gain a peace outside of this world because we are at peace with God.

Psalm 131 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
Lord, my heart is not proud, nor my eyes haughty;
Nor do I involve myself in great matters,
Or in things too difficult for me.
Surely I have composed and quieted my soul;
Like a weaned child rests against his mother,
My soul is like a weaned child within me.
O Israel, hope in the Lord
From this time forth and forever.

We also find rest by controlling our minds and not getting caught up in arguments or issues beyond ourselves. (how often do we lose rest because of politics?) Like a toddler rests against its mother, so we should rest against God. We need to put our hope in Him and fully trust that He will come through, trust in His sovereign power and goodness.

Exodus 33:14 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
And He said, “My presence shall go with you, and I will give you rest.”

It is only in God’s presence that we can find true rest and the restoration we need. Seek Him. Seek His presence and the rest He gives.

No comments:

Post a Comment