Wednesday, May 31, 2017

A New Direction: Growing in Godliness

Growing in godliness is something that I have always been passionate about. Even as a child, before I was saved, I wanted to be like God, as close to perfect as I could be. I'm not sure what my motive was back then, but now that desire is driven by an intense longing to honor God. He has made the ultimate sacrifice for me, so that He could have a relationship with me. Even though I did nothing to deserve it, He paid the penalty for what I have done. I owe Him all that I have, and it is my greatest desire to express that love and gratitude. That is centered around honoring Him. And as I said in my last post, the best way that we can honor God is by being like God. When we act like God, we prove that we are God's children, that we truly believe His Word, and that we value and respect Him. That in turn glorifies Him to those around us. Of course we will never reach perfection this side of heaven, but we are called to try. We are called to put off everything in ourselves that is not godly and seek what is. 1 Corinthians 10:31 says that in everything we do we should glorify God. That is our ultimate, created purpose on this earth. If we genuinely strive for that, everything else that we want (to be good parents, spouses, employees, etc) will follow suit.

Because it is something that I believe is vital for every follower of Christ, it is my goal to help and encourage my readers to do that as well. As a result, after some thought and prayer, I have decided to make a few changes to my blog. The first change is to my theme or focus. I will still share what I have learned, but with the purpose of helping others to grow in their faith and walk with God, to become more like God. I will also post more frequently. My main post will continue to be on Mondays, but effective next week I will also post short devotionals Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays.

In honor of this new change, next week I will start a series in my Monday posts about True Virtue. Virtue is not a popular subject in our society, and many of the virtues discussed in the Bible have been changed or warped by our culture (such as beauty and success.) But virtue is part of godliness. Each week I will discuss the biblical view of a different virtue in an effort to help us get closer to God's plan for us. I have already discussed three virtues at different times in the past; Motives, Freedom, and Peace.

Please know that in doing this I am not trying to put myself above anyone. I am no better or smarter than anyone else and what little knowledge and insight I have is a gift from God. I am merely trying to use what God has given me to help others. I hope that this new direction will be encouraging and beneficial to all.

Subscribe to my blog or follow me on facebook to receive my posts. Thank you for coming on this journey with me to seek God by becoming like Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment